Wednesday, July 28, 2010

18 months

[07.28.10]


It's hard for me to even begin to wrap my head around the fact that my little son is already 18 months old.  This last year and a half has been incredible.  Sure, we have had our ups and downs, just like everyone but honestly, I can say that I have never been happier!  I feel so unbelievably blessed to have the opportunity to be a mother and to spend every day with my son.  He really is my greatest joy... even on days like today when he threw multiple fits and insisted on walking around the mechanic's shop barefoot!  I truly am so grateful to be this little one's momma!

Things to remember about Drake at {eighteen} months:

*  He LOVES the movie Cars and repeatedly asks to watch "show" all day long.

*  He points to Lightening and Mater on his Cars blanket.

*  He has finally notice all of the pictures I have around the house and likes to point to the family when I ask him where each one of them is.

*  He is not the best eater these days.  In the beginning, I remember feeling sorry for parents whose kids didn't eat anything and now I am one of them.  Drake went from being an eating champion to eating next to nothing. (the 27 packs of fruit snacks that Chris lets him have every weekend does not count and most certainly does not help the situation! :)  No... I do not approve of this!)  He still eats the very best for Grammy.

*  He loves the body part game and points to his eyes, ears, nose, mouth, head, tummy, bum, and footies.  We are working on arms, legs and hands but he doesn't seem too interested!  

*  He is beginning to discover that he is a boy!  He can't quite see down there though, because his belly is too big!  He bends over as far as he can in the tub and almost falls over.  It's hilarious.  Luckily that's as far as he's gotten with the interest.  Phew! 

*  He is obsessed with getting in the shower while we are in it.  He doesn't ever want to get in the water he just wants to play with the scrubbies and the squeegee.  

*  Any time you say, "bye-bye, love you," he blows kisses.

*  He is the ultimate daddy's boy and wakes up wanting daddy every morning.  He usually makes the rounds of the house to see if daddy is home.  Kind of sad, but pretty precious too.  I love that he loves his daddy so much.

*  He talks in his sleep and is always saying "go" for some reason.

*  He has learned how to wrestle with the dogs and thinks it's hilarious to chase Tobie around on all fours and rub his head all over him.  Poor Tobie!

*  He has learned how to climb into and out of G & G Weaver's pool and has mastered the slide.  Very scary, might I add.  The kid is fearless when it comes to water.

*  He loves his Winnie the Pooh car at G & G's house.  He wants to play with it all the time and would drag it into the pool if I would let him.

*  He can successfully open any door that has the pull down handles.  Both grandparents have those kind of handles, which is also very scary.  He has absolutely no problem letting himself out whenever he feels like it.

*  He still talks in his gibberish all the time.  He can say all kinds of things but he is definitely not a parrot.  If you ask him to say something, he will completely ignore you.  His vocabulary to date:
I want that one
I do it
I want cheese
I going
I blow it (bubbles)
Is it hot 
(I don't think he knows that its a question.  He just heard me say it once and now says it all the time!)
I did it
Show on
water
hot 
cheese
fishy (sounds like shh shh)
ca ca (cookie or cracker)
go
momma 
dadda
bowing (ball, weird, I know!)
out
uh oh
NO! (of course)
uh uh (no)
uh ha (yes)
book (sounds like gook)
shoes

*  He is obsessed with shoes of any kind really.  He especially loves Chris' shoes and has to bring them to him to put on.  His favorite are Chris' brown work shoes.

* He says "dadda" whenever he sees a Sunroc truck driving around town.

*  He will only "talk" on the phone to daddy.  He will carry on a pretty long gibberish conversation.  It's hysterical to watch!

*  He loves to help with anything.  Carrying laundry, taking his diapers out to the trash, putting things away, etc.  He always wants in on the action.

*  He loves to brush his teeth.  He thinks it's a game and loves to bite my fingers and his little tooth brush.  He also still has the two biggest front teeth EVER!  His "fangs" are finally working their way in. Hopefully they will even things out a bit.

He LOVES watermelon.  He shoves it in his mouth so fast he always chokes at least once per sitting because he tries to swallow too much without chewing.  He then spits out whatever is in his mouth and hands it to me.  Nice!

*  He is a total climber.  He tries to climb on EVERYTHING.  He puts his little leg and foot up on everything to test it out to see if he can make it.  I caught him trying to climb into my bathroom drawer the other day.  Mind you, he can't even see into the drawer so there is absolutely no way he'd be able to get his little footie in there, but he sure tries!

*  He is getting more and more stubborn with each passing day.  He is such a strong willed little boy.  He has been pretty much since day one, but as he gets older, it is definitely more apparent!  He knows exactly what he wants, when he wants it and if you are in his way, watch out!  This stage is a little tough, simply because it is impossible for me to understand everything that he tries to tell me.  If only I spoke gibberish too!  The way he looks at you when he is telling you something in his Drake Talk is priceless.  He knows EXACTLY what he's saying and you can just tell that he expects you to know too.      I think this little man of mine may very well give me a run for my money, but I am grateful for who he is.  Even though he is still so young, I can tell that this boy is going to do great things someday!

Happy {eighteen} months baby son!
Love you to pieces!



  

4 comments:

Angie Stewart Black said...

He is so dang cute Whitney. Absolutely adorable and is he really 18 months already? I'm sad that you guys have to go. We better spend some more time hanging out! We will miss having your beautiful face around!

Stacie and Jared said...

We are excited to see you guys this weekend! Crazy that its already been 18 months. . . haha yesterday would have been the exact day that I would have come home from my mission, good thing that didn't work out!

Anonymous said...

What a fun boy! Wow he's growing up fast. It's great that you are recording all his milestones so well so you can look back and remember.

Tammy K said...

Tanner loves his 'gooks' (he totally calls books gooks :)

These boys of ours are adorable - I'm not going to lie - Too bad we don't live closer. I've decided they're way WAY too much alike not to be the Best of friends :)