Tuesday, October 28, 2008

3 Years

* This is a little long and personal, but I've never taken the time to write down some of my feelings about this and feel like now is as good of a time as ever and seeing as how I don't keep a journal, I figured this was the next best thing.


This year, as I make my way through this last week of October, I can't help but feel extremely grateful for where I am today. Three years ago this week, Chris and my mom accompanied me to my very first Chemotherapy treatment. It's hard to believe that it has already been three years because I remember that day so vividly. I think we all do! That first day of chemo marked the beginning of a very long seven months but was also the start of one of the most amazing learning experiences I have had in my short 25 years of life. To have the opportunity to struggle side by side with your spouse, even for a short time is something that I feel every couple needs to experience. I know it may sound strange that I feel that way, but I can honestly say that I needed to go through those things with Chris. While we were dating and when we first got married I always knew that I loved him more than anything, but my love for him now is greater than I ever could have imagined. I know that Heavenly Father has answered my prayers in more ways than I can understand at this point in my life and I am so grateful to have the chance to look back and reflect on those things.
These pictures were taken by the amazing Nick and Signe Adams. They are truly a wonderful couple who have an incredible gift for catching the most beautiful moments in life. Nick and Signe have captured moments in my life that are most precious to me and have provided me with images that I will cherish forever. To me, this picture truly explains it all. When I look at it, I am flooded with all of the emotions that I have felt over the last three years. While I was having treatments, I, for some reason decided that I didn't want to see myself looking sickly, so I refused to look at myself in the mirror without my wig on and I definitely did not let anyone take random pictures of me! It was kind of weird, I know, but it's just what I did. When I saw these pictures for the first time, I was sweetly surprised by how they made me feel. These are the only pictures I have with my bald head and for some reason, I wasn't in shock at all at seeing myself this way. It almost seemed natural to me. I can remember crying, but only because I was amazed at how beautiful Nick and Signe had made me feel. I love these pictures and will be forever grateful for the opportunity to be captured this way.
So this year, in addition to being incredibly grateful for my health, I am most especially grateful to be trading my round bald head for a round bald belly! Heavenly Father has blessed us with the most precious miracle and I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to be a mother to a sweet little son!

30 comments:

Abby said...

whit you are beautiful! Thanks for sharing such a personal experience!! What an inspiring story!

Melanie and Curtis said...

Whitney..wow! You are inspiring. I just think you two are amazing people. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into a special experience. You both are amazing teachers to Caden...thanks for putting up with his hyperness..he is lucky to have you!

Crystal said...

Those pics are seriously incredible. I especially love the one of you & Chris.

Your story is amazing. I'm so happy for you to be a mommy soon!

Doug and Laura said...

I didn't really know about what you have gone through - thanks for sharing. The pictures are beautiful and I love your pregnant belly!

Morgan said...

Wow! Truly, a remarkable post. Thanks for posting, Whitney.

Tyler and Kristen Owens said...

Whit I love you... thanks for sharing this with everyone. I am so excited for you to become a mommy. It truly is the best thing in the whole wide world, even when your son is throwing a tantrum and will not let you buckle him in his carseat (which happened to me two times today)and you feel like leaving him at the store:), you still love him more than anything else!

Tonya said...

Wow, Whitney! Thanks. Those amazing pictures and your beautiful words brought me to tears. I'm grateful that you would share your experience! Your child is going to be blessed to have a mother with such strength.

Kelli Eudis said...

Beautiful post. I've always loved those pictures. I saw them on Nick Adams website awhile back. You are beautiful! What a tough thing to go thru, but now that it's over what a strengthening experience in your life in every aspect. Thanks for sharing.

Lyndsi said...

Whitney - I have always felt such a spirit of faith and happiness around you. I'm so thankful for your amazing story. You touch so many lives. Thank you for being so good to Jace. Your baby boy is blessed to have one very special Mom!

Jen said...

That is a beautiful post--I'm glad you shared your thoughts and pictures. Amazing!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I have to admit I teared a bit. I have seen those pictures before at Nick and Signe's place. I loved them the first time I saw them, but with your words they made me cry. I am so excited for you to be a mommy Whitney (and for Chris to be a daddy). I knew it would be hard, tiring, and rewarding. But, I had no idea how TRULY hard, tiring, and most of all REWARDING it is. I truly am excited for you guys to experience it. Love you guys!

Riggs Rascals said...

First of all, I am so grateful your belly is BALD!! The picture of you and Chris is amazing. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I can't think of any to describe that picture. A thousand tears maybe. I can't look at that picture without getting tears in my eyes. What a blessing you had that taken and how much that will mean to your children! You are such an amazing woman! (With of course, the cutest bald belly ever!)

jaesi said...

beautiful. beautiful. beautiful.

Blake Bench said...

I'm so glad you shared some of your personal feelings about your experience. I didn't know you had gone through all that until one day I was looking at Nick Adam's blog and saw your pictures on there. You are truly an inspiration. I remember I saw your pictures right after I had run into you at the store and had commented on how beautiful your hair was and I felt so bad when I realized it was probably a wig. I just want you to know I think you are beautiful with or without hair and inside and out. You are truly inspirational. Since I first met you I've always looked up to you. I wish you all the best!

Jared and Chrissy said...

Hey Whit! I love this post. It really shows how truly amazing and beautiful you are! I am so excited for your little boy, you are looking so cute!

Amber said...

You're the bomb girlfriend! I love you. That was so sweet. I can't wait for the babe. I can't wait to just sit and hold him all day (and help you too of course!)

Tammy K said...

Very interesting how we can turn life's trial into life's Amazing experiences!

I'm at work (on my lunch break) and I'm almost in tears :)

What is beautiful about this story is how you have enabled that experience to possitively change your life!

And your little baby belly is AWESOME!

brit said...

k, so i read your blog every once in awhile, but this time i just had to comment... thanks for sharing! you are a wonderful woman and i am so proud of you and of chris for sticking through that VERY difficult time. its strange how those hard things make you love someone so deeply. just wait, your opportunity to grow in love will only get stronger when the little one comes along.

Joe and Julianne said...

This was so inspiring! Thanks for sharing!!! You two are an amazing couple.

cor and chelle said...

Whit you are a great writer! I was tearing up just reading your post! You are so amazing! I look up to you, i know you are going to be a wonderful mother.

Stacie and Jared said...

I just want you to know that you are the most amazing person in the world and I admire you so much. Thank you for being such an incredible example to me during that time Whit. I'll be honest, there were times when I lost faith and it was probably the hardest thing in the world for me to see you like that, but you were always such a rock, and it really helped me to be more positive. Thank you for being such a wonderful sister and role model, I love you so much Whit!

Stacie and Jared said...

PS- I'm way stoked that I am going to be here when you have that little boy, I'm gonna be the best Aunt EVER!!!!!!

Colburns said...

It takes such a strong women to do what you have done! I have always admired you in every aspect of how you handle everyday life. I love you so much!

Frei Family said...

Whitney those pictures are so beautiful!! Nick seems to capture moments like that so incredibly. Thank you for sharing something so personal... you two will make wonderful parents!

Jennifer said...

wow...that picture brought tears to my eyes...so beautiful!!!

Maren said...

Whit...that is such an amazing story. I was on my mission when you went through all of this and so I'm glad you shared what happened and how it changed you. You are going to be the best mom and can i say you look great with no hair. Not many people can pull that off, but you sure can.

The Capitans said...

Those pictures are beautiful. I admire you for the strong person you are. I cant imagine what you have gone through. I am excited for you to be a mommy soon. It is amazing.

{Annie N.} said...

Wow Whit. I think that it is awesome that you got those pictures taken. You look Beautiful! I started crying without even reading the post. There is such a bonding that happens when your spouse takes care of you when you feel like you are at deaths door. I know that I didn't experience anything close to what you went through but my first pregnacy I thought I was going to die I was so sick and it truly was such a bonding experience with Chad.
On a differnt note I'm so excited that you are prego ( you are such a cute prego) I can't wait to see the little guy.

Jessica Wille said...

Wow Whitney...thank you! Those pictures are amazing and so beautiful. I love how Chris is holding you...there are no words.

Crazy A's said...

Beautiful post Whit! I am still crying. I LOVE those pictures. I am so happy for you and a little jealous that you and Chris are so happy together :) You guys are a great example to us all.