Monday, December 21, 2009

Coins for Kids


Every year, my dad and I, along with hundreds of other volunteers from around the community, participate in providing christmas for children in our area that would otherwise be going without. Coins for Kids was started 19 years ago by a handful of employees at the KONY radio station and has continued each year since. This year was our biggest year yet! We had 900+ families in need, 2400+ children to provide for and $125,000 to raise... and WE DID IT! Along with help from Toys for Toys, Wal-Mart, local businesses, and members of the community, we were able to help all of those in need!
Each year I am amazed at the generosity of those in our area and every year, I am SO grateful to be a part of such a wonderful organization. The magic of Christmas is truly something special and every year as I watch our volunteers come to shop, wrap, and deliver, I am humbled by their willingness to give of whatever they have in whatever capacity they have to give it.
Being able to witness and help provide this type of service to little children in need is what truly makes my Christmas. My parents have always been such amazing examples of service for our family and I can only hope that as I continue to raise my little one, that I will be able to teach him the importance of service also.

{Pre-Shopping}
All of these toys were donated to Coins for Kids and Toys for Tots.

{Wal-Mart Shopping}
We take the money that is raised and go to Wal-Mart to shop for each child.
This year we were able to spend $75 per child


{Wrapping}
Once all the toys are purchased, every single item is wrapped.
We have hundreds of volunteers that come to wrap on Thursday.


{Delivery}
Each family's toys are hand delivered by a volunteer on Friday.
Most people borrow our Santa suites and dress up like "Santa's Helpers."
This year we had 168 routes that had 1-5 families in each route.


3 comments:

Britt,Ben,Baby BentLee and our dog Mack! said...

Whit how amazing! Such a wonderful time of year to give!

Ina said...

This wonderful project shows the true spirit of Christmas; giving to those who would otherwise go without. Every child deserves to experience the wonder of Christmas! My family certainly did enjoy having you ride the Polar Express with them. Merry Christmas!

Spencer and Mindy said...

**love toys for tots and coins for kids!

and love that you got a pic of my parents (bottam left of your collage) Santa & Clara Claus! My dad was so excited to participate this year in the delivering of gifts!