Monday, March 29, 2010

"Where's the trailer?"

Today, dad, snipes and I could very well have killed a whole lot of people!  It really and truly is a miracle that no one got hurt.  Here's the story:

Over the weekend, we worked in the yard, prepping it for the new "kingdom" that the grandparents bought for Drake for his birthday.  It is a "serious" swing set as Brian would say and will be super fabulous once it is done but right now, I can't lie and say that I'm not having a few seconds thoughts about it!  It has been a huge project and is not even close to being done.  

Anyways... today, Snipes and I decided to go dump the dirt that we loaded onto the trailer on Saturday.  Snipes backed the truck, I guided and we managed to pull it out from the side of the house with no hiccups.  We gathered our gear and headed down the street.  We had only made it a few hundred yards when the trailer started making some suspicious noises.  By the time we made it down the street to the Fackrell's, snipes decided that something was definitely wrong and stopped.  The problem was... the truck stopped but the trailer didn't!  I guess when we hooked up the trailer, neither one of us checked to see it it was locked into place and it obviously wasn't.  Luckily though, we were going very slow so only minor damage was done to both truck and trailer and snipes was able to successfully macgyver the trailer so we could at least get it back home.  Phew! 

Twenty minutes or so after we got back home Brian arrived.  He was pretty impressed with snipes' macgyver skills and decided that the trailer would still be fine to use to haul the dirt off so the three of us jumped back in and headed over to Middleton to dump.  Now mind you, in between our house and Middleton, there are quite a few very busy intersections but we took our chances and made it to where we needed to go, almost! 

When we arrived at the designated dumping spot, dad parked and we started to get out of the truck.  Just as I was shutting the door I hear Brian say, "where's the trailer??"  WHAT??? "where's the trailer?" Yep... that's what he said!  The trailer was GONE.  We had lost a BIG, HUGE, EXTREMELY HEAVY trailer and none of us had noticed!  We stood there in shock for a second and then noticed that the trailer was in fact behind us rolling back down the hill!  All three of us took off running.  Dad and I headed for the front to try to slow it down and Snipes ran towards that back and tried throwing rocks under the tires to stop it!  Any one observing this scene had to have been peeing their pants from laughter because I guarantee we looked ridiculous!  We think that the trailer must have popped off the hitch when we turned the corner and just kept on going! We obviously didn't have the safety chains on but in this case, it was probably a good thing.  We did somehow manage to get the stupid monster stopped and hooked back up only then to realize that the ball of the hitch was too small which was most likely the whole problem.  Nice!  

Anyways... we dumped the dirt and then Brian decided again to try our luck at getting the trailer home.  Snipes and I were a bit skeptical but we did end up making it without further mishap.  It really and truly is a MIRACLE that the trailer didn't come off anywhere but where we were.  It is a big beast and could have easily caused wrecks that could have killed people.  Holy Smokes, we were definitely being watched over!

I'm pretty sure that I am going to steer clear of trailer pulling for a good long while!  Phew... what a day!

1 comments:

Stacie and Jared said...

LOL that's the most hilarious thing I've read in a long time! You guys are out of control. . . It's seriously a miracle nobody got hurt. So much for the infamous Musso macgyver skills!